Monday, March 15, 2010

Easy Shmeezy - just like I like it

Yesterday, I was in charge of bringing fruit to a luncheon meeting at my church.  And, because I am sleep deprived and, well, let’s face it, just naturally forgetful, I did not remember this until I was in bed at about 11:00 on Saturday night.  (which, we all know was really 12:00 Sunday morning - stupid daylight savings time.)  
I was planning on bringing a beautiful fruit tray of this variety:


and maybe even some yummy, bad for you fruit dip a la...


But, I don’t shop on Sundays - or I try not to anyway, AND thanks to some illness going around I had to pinch hit for someone at a meeting at 7:45 in the morning (which was really 6:45 as we all know, thanks again daylight savings...) so I didn’t really want to get up earlier to go to the store anyway.  So what to do??  Thank goodness I remembered this easy little fruit salad from Martha which is composed of things I had at home!  Yea! (Thanks, Ms. Stewart!)  So, I can’t find her version on her website (of course...) but here it is - I got it from Daily Food:
2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup of plain yogurt mixed with 2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup raisins
Mix, and serve cold.  

Well, since we know I never do things by the book, here’s my version, which I think is yummier, but that’s because I really do not like raisins (I know, in a house full of kids, that’s blasphemy):
2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 to 1/2 cup VANILLA yogurt mixed with a tblsp of lemon juice (I didn’t measure exactly with either, so you can play around here.  I really like lemon juice in things, so I tend to error on the side of MORE.  I also used low fat vanilla so there weren't many more calories)
about 1/2 a regular sized bag of CRAISINS (regular flavor - but I bet cherry flavor would be good too.  I’m all about craisins - since I need an alternative to raisins in everything that calls for them) 
Mix it all up and call it good!
Easy as pie.  Well, from the pies I’ve made, I’d say easIER than pie, actually.  And yummy.  And a good way to get some fruit and calcium into your daily intake - and nutritionally, mr and I are always looking for anything helpful.  Especially something bug will eat.  
All I can say is, it’s a good thing I had this stuff lying around or the luncheon at church would have been serving canned crushed pineapple and a sad looking banana.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...