Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I swear, I thought of this last year.


You can tell I'm not lying because my house is different now... there's no white cupboard by the back door anymore and the piano is in the living room now, not the dining room.  See?  See???  I'm not just a copycat!

Ok, now that that's over... you've doubtless seen the washi tape pumpkins around pinterest and the like.  These little mini pumpkins were a quick project I threw together for Halloween last year.  The kids "helped."  Don't you love it when you feel like you have a totally original cute idea, but you don't have time to blog about it, and it's a seasonal thing so you can't just throw it up in the middle of summer because that would be weird and so you decide to save it for the same holiday next year and THEN blog about it but by the time you get to it the next year someone else has already taken the same idea and flown with it and you're left in the shadows looking like someone who just steals ideas?  Yeah, me too!

I used the tiny pumpkins you can get in a bag of like 8 at the grocery store.  The super skinny black tape and the mesh looking tape you see in the picture below aren't actually washi tape, but some kind of marking tape for... artists?  architects?  I don't know.  It's something my artist sister found and gave to me.

So, obviously there's no real tutorial here.  You just put the tape on in different designs.  I made little flags on some of the stems.  Then I set them out in little vignettes.  A few on the cupboard, a few on the piano...

over by the front door...

Here are the kids' creations.  Let me tell you, it was hard to let them have free reign with my precious "fancy tape"...

And this here is my favorite from the batch.

Washi tape is so much more readily available now, you can stock up for fairly inexpensive and find some that's great for Halloween... they even have three different brands at Walmart!  Scotch, 3M, and the Walmart generic variety!  Or you can get a pack of 4 at Target.  So you aren't out of luck if there's no JoAnns or Archivers near you and you don't want to pay for shipping.  

Also, you can see a sneak peek of the next tutorial I'm sharing up in the photos!



*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...